Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Action Research Abstract

How will implementing gender-specific strategies in kindergarten for a boys only and girls only group affect their growth in pre-reading skills?
 
The question guiding my research is: How will implementing gender-specific strategies in kindergarten for a boys only and girls only group affect their growth in pre-reading skills?  After performing a review of literature on gender differences, I found that boys and girls are wired differently and would benefit from understanding what makes than different and how those differences could be addressed in the classroom.  Children need to be learning to their potentials.  They are misunderstood which affects their achievement.  They could be learning more effectively by matching gender preferences to the teacher’s lesson planning.  By making changes in my teaching I can begin to help students feel understood and can teach to their learning style.  I hope to accomplish implementing my gender different small group lessons by dividing up the students into a boys only group and a girls only group.  From there I will plan more active lessons for boys by allowing them to be louder, using a louder voice when teaching, more competitive games, and allowing them to be more "rough".   Lessons for girls will consist of more cooperative seat work, using a quieter voice, and less competitive games with more collaborative conversational games.  To collect my data on the given changes I am using student surveys, a  teacher journal to write field notes on a daily bases, fall and winter data from FAST - our new “AIMESweb” data collection tool, and NWEA data.

My data collection has not started at this time as I began with kids only one week ago.  Title 1 gets a late start in our school as service is data driven.  I plan to begin my data collection in early November to be complete in late December.  I am finding that I may be restricted in changing the groups up.  My time isn't as flexible as I hoped; thus, I may need to plan a new question and plan new ways to gather data.  I must settle into my schedule before I will know exactly how this is going to work out. 

I have been observing their gender differences "unofficially" for the past two weeks and I am definitely seeing some gender differences amongst my groups.  I am beginning to make some changes and catching myself when I fall into the gender "traps" which mostly include disapproval of boys and how they learn best.  As a result of my interest, I would love to see how gender specific practices could be implemented in other settings throughout the school day.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment