Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Change


This week has been one that has got me thinking about the action associated with the word CHANGE. Often I have been heard spouting comments about how others need to change, "The world is changing, get on board or get left behind!" or "Get over it! What's the big deal, we all have to do it!" At the Maple Grove Hospital they have a beautiful wall hanging of a fall tree with the inspirational message,

"Act Like A Tree: Except Change"



I had no choice but to except change as my father was dying from cancer and he only lived one week past my seeing the picture. The image of the tree has stayed with me throughout these past two years along with the enduring understanding: life is always changing.

This past week I have been asked to change. I was blind-sided by the simple request and I spent a sleepless night literally fighting in my mind and heart with what I was being asked to do. I found it's not so easy when you're the one being asked to do the changing. What has been screaming in my mind like a two year old tantrum is" NO, I WON'T! I DON'T WANT TO AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!" I had to take a deep breath and come to the realization that I either need to get on board or get left behind.

 

Being asked to make changes myself, like I have asked others to do often, has given me the opportunity to "walk a mile" in someone else's shoes.


No comments:

Post a Comment