Sunday, December 15, 2013

Blogging Community January Strategy

Keeping in line with trying out new technology tools, the past couple of weeks I have been using ITalk to record my student's reading.  First we talked about what makes a good reader:  rate, accuracy, and expression.  Then I had them practicing reading a story working on the three areas.  When they were ready, they recorded themselves reading the story.  When they finished they got to play the recording back.  I asked them if they had ever heard themselves reading and all said no.  They were very interested in how they sounded.  I had them talk about their rate, accuracy, and expression along with what they did well and where they could improve.  I monitored their progress before we started and will again right before winter break.  I am looking forward to seeing if will help them grow faster toward the grade level benchmarks.

2 comments:

  1. Beth,
    What a cool idea! I have never tried that app but it sounds very intriguing. Do you feel like it's made any difference in their reading fluency? I was wondering if that app would be appropriate for my first graders. I will have to try it when we get back to school! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am interested in this app as well! I teach first grade and think my students would be very intrigued! I will need to look into it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete